Thursday, July 28, 2016

Gluten Free Peanut Butter Waffles

Hello, my name is Heather and I'm a waffle addict. I believe waffles are by far the superior breakfast item. They can be sweet or savory, eaten plain or topped with eggs and sauces. They have perfect little craters to catch syrup or running yolk, ensuring each bite is delicious and filled with all the flavors. Can pancakes do this? No they cannot and thus why I LOVE waffles!

Future waffle lover 

Swimming in college, Saturday morning practices were by far the hardest. Four hours of nonstop working out and most of the workouts were designed to flood your body with as much lactic acid as possible. Sounds fun right? Not exactly what you want to be doing at 8am on a Saturday morning. What got my through these grueling workouts? Waffles! And not just any waffle... A waffle smothered in peanut butter and dripping with maple syrup! Hey, I was burning serious calories back then! It was completely acceptable to make a bee line for the waffle maker in the cafeteria after the workout.


Fast forward, a few (ok, more than a few) years and I'm still loving waffles but I'm not working out 25 hours a week. How can I get the same delicious taste without destroying the waist band of my already stretchy pants? Add peanut butter powder! Significantly lower calories BUT same great peanut butter taste! Jackpot!

I bought my PB powder at Costco but you can find them in regular grocery stores or online

I love waffles more now than ever because it's something I can make a large batch of ahead of time, freeze, quickly reheat and eat with one hand while my other hand tends to my crazy, but oh so lovable, 4 month old daughter. I hope you enjoy them too!

Gluten Free Peanut Butter Waffles

Serving: Makes 12 waffles 
Cooking Time: 40 min

1 box GF pancake mix (I use King Arthur Flour brand)
2 eggs
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
1 cup peanut butter powder
cooking spray

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil and almond milk. Then mix in the dry pancake mix and peanut butter powder. 

2. Put aside the mix to thicken a bit. Plug in waffle maker to heat up. 

3. Spray lightly with cooking spray if needed. Pour approximately 1/3 of a cup of the waffle mix for each waffle and cook until desired browning. 

4. Place cooked waffles on wire rack to cool if you'll be freezing them. Reheat in toaster oven as needed in the mornings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment