Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Slow Cooker Spiced Pear Oatmeal

My darling, sweet Sofie girl is a rolling fiend but only from her back to her stomach, which leaves her stranded and upset... at 3:30 am until Mommy comes in to the rescue! Oh, and while you're up, Mom, how about feeding me??? Oh and how about we repeat this at 5:30 am as well? Thanks! Love, Sofie (she's lucky she's so darn, stinking cute!)

Love you, Mom! Now feed me!

It's been this way for almost 2 weeks now and I'm dragging my butt in the morning. This morning we had our Mommy and Me workout class though! Highlight of my day :-) I was so happy to have put this oatmeal in the slow cooker last night before I went to bed as I was dragging my behind to get going this morning. I've never been someone that can go without breakfast. Some people HAVE to have their coffee in the morning (*cough* my mom *cough*) while others need their food (100% ME *hand waving enthusiastically in the air*).

Sofie enjoying some tummy time after my workout

Food prep has always saved my hubby and I, even before baby came along. Before Sofie, we both had very demanding careers where we worked at least 11 hours a day. The thought of coming home and cooking after treating patients all day was exhausting in itself. So I started to find recipes that I could make my own and have stored in the fridge for an easy accessible, healthy meal. After having the Little Babe, I tried to find lactogenic foods to help keep up the hungry demand of my Little One. Thus this Slow Cooker Spiced Pear Oatmeal was born! I hope you all enjoy it :-)

Mr. Elephant approves :-)

Slow Cooker Spiced Pear Oatmeal

Makes 8-10 servings
Prep Time: 10 Min
Cooking Time: 8 Hours

Cooking Spray
4 ripe pears, cubed
2 cups GF steel cut oats
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1/3-1/2 cup brown sugar  OR 1/2-3/4 cup maple syrup
8 cups unsweetened almond milk
1 can light coconut milk 

1. Spray the insert of your slow cooker with cooking spray. Some of the oats will still stick to the sides but it is greatly reduced with the cooking spray.

2. Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker, making sure the liquids are added last. Stir together to incorporate the spices. 

3. Set the slow cooker to low and cook for 8 hours. 

4. Make sure to stir up the oatmeal really well, grabbing the oats that stuck to the sides, before serving. Top with a sprinkle of cinnamon and brown sugar (if you want it sweeter). 

Breakfast is set for the week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment