Saturday, July 30, 2016

Stopping and Smelling the Roses

This has been a hard concept for me to grasp. Anyone that knows me, knows that I am usually moving 100 miles a minute and have many different projects in the works. Why not be completing my residency and learning Turkish and cooking treats for the office and teaching swim lessons and taking on extra patients all at the same time? This was totally and completely doable for me in the past. I've never been very good at just stopping and relaxing. Vacations always needed to have some sort of adventure and I was only good at chilling out for a week, tops.

Tummy Time!

Since having Sofie, I've been feeling a tug of war within myself about wanting to get my tasks done and enjoying the time with my ever evolving daughter. I was naive in thinking that I would still be able to juggle it all after having Sofie. She would just fit into my everyday routine, right? Not so much and I'm learning that it's okay!

Would love to say she meant to kiss me but I think 
she just fell forward and her lips broke the fall...

Yesterday was one of those days when my to-do list is a mile long but I decided to put it all aside and just enjoying being around my daughter. When she slept, I lied down next to her and watched her breathe. Those adorable lips parted ever so slightly and twitching every once and a while. There's nothing more precious than a baby sleeping! When she woke up, we played and played, practicing our standing, sitting on mommy's chest and attacking her face and just giggling for no good reason. It was such a precious time to have with her and I knew she felt loved and connected with.

Too cute! 

Then I look at the clock and realize it's 6:30 and nothing is prepared for dinner... The guilt starts to set in about not getting my tasks done. Hubby came home and was hungry (luckily I have some soups in case of food emergency). I start thinking I should have spent the time while she was napping to get something started for dinner. My to-do list starts to flash by in my brain: laundry, vacuuming, cooking, emails to patients, writing patient notes, calling insurance companies, etc.

Mom is too busy playing with me to do work

I think this is a struggle many moms go through. We have this thought in our heads that we can do it all! We can have the family life and the career all while looking refreshed and ready for the day's challenges, right? Well some can (I'd love to meet you!)

What's over there, Mom?

but I can't and I'm learning to be okay with this. It's unrealistic and unfair to put this upon ourselves. I shouldn't have to feel guilty when my husband walks through the door and there isn't a healthy, delicious meal simmering on the stove. That's why take-out was invented! (Ok, maybe not but just go with it)

Cooking can wait

I'm learning to balance the laundry list of things to get done and spending time with my darling Sofie, time I know I can never get back. Does this mean I'm going to have to work 10x harder later in the week and sacrifice sleep and "me" time to get it done? Yes but it's worth it to see that smile :-)

Happy Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment